This Damask Lace Impression / Stencil Mat Large is made of food grade plastic. Perfect for making impressions on gum paste, fondant, marzipan and buttercream on the sides or tops of your cake.
Mat Size : 60.96 x 45.72 cm / 24" x 18"
Storage : Not suitable for the dishwasher. Wash in warm soapy water, rinse and dry thoroughly and flat before storing.
- Impression Mat
- Vegetable Shortening
- Icing Sugar
- Rolled Fondant
- Luster Color
- Airbrush (optional)
Directions : Applications for up to a 12" round cake.
1. Lightly grease the smooth side of impression mat with vegetable shortening. Spray oil is acceptable but be sure to wipe off any excess.
2. Prepare the cake by covering with a very thin coating of buttercream or boiled apricot jam for fruit cakes and allow to firm.
3. Make sure the work surface is clean and dry. Remove all jewelry as it may cause the fondant to tear or mark.
4. Lightly dust the work surface with cornstarch or powered icing sugar.
5. Knead the rolled fondant very well and roll out to the desired thickness (we recommend 1/8 inch to a maximum of 3/16 inch) on a dusting of powdered icing sugar.
6. When the rolled fondant is rolled to the desired size and thickness, lift the rolled fondant using the roll-a-towel method and dust the counter with powdered icing sugar then lay the rolled fondant back down onto your work surface (This will avoid sticking later).
7. Lay the impression mat - smooth greased side down - on the rolled fondant and roll firmly over the top impressing the mat into the rolled fondant to ensure a good definition of the pattern marks.
8. At this point any desired color should be added. This can be done either by dusting powdered luster colors over the mat or airbrushing over the entire surface. To maintain color coverage on the pattern, ensure the mat is still down on the rolled fondant.
9. Lift the impression mat and rolled fondant together and place on the cake. Be sure to roll across the top of the cake to remove the air trapped between the cake and the rolled fondant. Carefully peel the impression from the rolled fondant.
10. Lift the rolled fondant away from the side of the cake like a skirt with one hand and smooth down the side of the other. Do not use smoothers as the pattern maybe erased.
11. Trim away the excess rolled fondant from around the base of cake.
Please note color of mat may vary between white and green.